Hiring Advice_Interview techniques
Hays Hiring Series
4 - Interview techniques
Ask open-ended, probing, situational and behavioural based questions
- “Tell me about...” (open ended)
- “Talk me through the steps...” (probing)
- “What would you do if...” (situational)
- “How did you approach...” (behavioural)
For competency based questions, develop a scoring system for each response.
As a fifth stage - try role play scenarios
This will help you see how quickly a candidate can think on their feet or how they deal with a specific situation.
Use getting to the truth tactics
50 per cent of all resumes contain some sort of lie or embellishment.
- Look for exact start and finish dates for each employer
- Question why there are gaps between jobs