Hiring Advice_Interview structure
Hays Hiring Series
3 - Interview structure
Develop a systematic approach
First, lay out clear objectives for the interview:
- Can they do the job?
- Is it the right move for the candidate?
- Will they fit in with the team?
Second, lay out a clear action plan, including:
- Two-way feedback
- A plan for subsequent interviews
- Decision timeframe
- Offer and rejection
Lastly, set up a clear agenda for the interview, such as:
- Brief company introduction
- Discuss the candidate’s background
- Discuss their preferences
- Talk about the opportunity
- Time for feedback and questions
- Next steps
Get to know your candidates
First, assess first impressions. Second, aim to build a rapport within one minute of meeting, helping you get a good sense of the person you're interviewing.
Lastly, build a composite picture. This can be achieved by going through a candidate's background chronologically, asking key questions about their likes, dislikes, motivations, accomplishments and frustrations.
Putting these steps together will help you attract the right candidate for your business.