Over a Quarter of Employees with Mental Health Issues Not Offered Support
October 24th, 2018
A recent global survey by recruiting experts Hays revealed over a quarter of workers who raised a mental health issue at work were not offered support from their employer.
Hays, recently surveyed over 1,400 people across nearly 100 countries and asked whether they had ever spoken to their employer about a mental health issue. Those who answered yes revealed the level of support they received from their employer, including; 25.3% who were given time to talk confidentially with their manager; 19.9% who were provided with some form of counselling or therapy; 15.5% who were given time off; and 10% who were given adjusted workload or responsibilities. However, 27% of those who responded said they received no support from their employer.
Of those respondents who answered that they hadn’t raised a mental health issue, a staggering 33% said they didn’t feel comfortable speaking to their manager, while 26% stated they were worried it might harm their career progression, 24% declared they were concerned with confidentially and 14% were not aware of the support that was available to them.
Sandra Henke, Hays Group Head of People & Culture, commented on the results, “This survey has highlighted the importance organisations must place on educating their workforce about the support that is available to them should they experience a mental health issue. And more importantly, creating a culture in which employees feel they can approach their manager with such issues. The well-being of employees should be paramount for organisations and managers must ensure they are supporting their employees as a priority.”
Responses were gathered from a web poll conducted on social.hays.com between 5 September 2018 and 5 October 2018
Hays plc (the "Group") is a leading global professional recruiting group and is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. The Group is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Asia Pacific and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America. The Group operates across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments. As at 30 June 2018 the Group employed 10,978 staff operating from 257 offices in 33 markets across 20 specialisms. For the year ended 30 June 2018:
– the Group reported net fees of £1.072 billion and operating profit (pre-exceptional items) of £243.4 million;
– the Group placed around 77,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 244,000 people into temporary assignments;
– 19% of Group net fees were generated in Australia & New Zealand, 26% in Germany, 24% in United Kingdom & Ireland and 31% in Rest of World (RoW);
– the temporary placement business represented 58% of net fees and the permanent placement business represented 42% of net fees;
– Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Chile, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA