Your new company
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably produce nickel, copper, cobalt, platinum group metals, gold and silver is at the heart of what we do.
Your new role
We are currently seeking an UNDERGROUND MINING SUPERINTENDENT to join our Underground Mine Operations Team at our remote mine site in Voisey’s Bay, Labrador, a fly-in fly-out operation. This permanent position will be on a 1 week in/1week out or 2 week in/2 week out rotation, depending on operational requirements. The Underground Mining Operations Superintendent will be responsible for the safe day-to-day management of the underground mining operations for both Capital development as well as Operational areas. As Capital areas transition to Operations, the Underground Mining Operations Superintendent will assume responsibility for delivering the production ramp-up and steady state production output. In this role, the successful applicant will have the following accountabilities:
What you'll need to succeed
- Zero harm to employees, the business, the environment, and the community.
- Achieve/exceed production quality and quantity targets while maximizing economic resource recovery.
- Achieve total product and unit cost, and capital expenditure targets.
- Audit and analyze trends in safety (against the Safe Production model), environment, production, cost and quality, as well as the consumption of resources.
- Verify compliance with established Service Level Agreements (SLA) and required standards.
- Audit training compliance of employees within all areas of accountability.
- Participate in the development of operating procedures and practices for the underground areas
- Work with the HSE Committee to develop actions to improve safety, health and environmental performance.
- Provide input for the development of, and to facilitate the execution of, the annual and 5-year capital plans.
- Support the development of execution plan strategies and implement operating plans for the area(s) of responsibility, considering targets and related actions to reduce incident frequency rates, environmental performance, production output, quality, costs, and capital expenditures.
- Develop weekly and monthly production and/or maintenance plans and update forecasts as required. Escalate when plans and/or forecasts will not be achieved.
- Monitor area production and/or maintenance performance, and asset integrity, to confirm that processes are in place to maintain the plant and equipment, sustain/build capability, and to achieve the targets outlined in the execution plan.
- Complete task assignments within Work Management to coordinate and schedule tasks within the area(s) of responsibility.
- Contributes to Asset Integrity reviews and supports development of action plans to address ‘at risk’ assets.
- Identify any required changes to the established production and/or maintenance schedules, that will impact either upstream or downstream customers.
- Expand the capability of the area(s) of accountability, to achieve continuous improvement, while balancing the allocation of resources, meeting quantity and quality output requirements for the internal and/or external "Customers".
- Coordinate vacation schedules for staff and hourly personnel within all area(s) of responsibility.
- Effective workforce planning and management, including contributing to the Succession Planning processes. Advises the Manager on improving the capability of the team to meet future needs through selection and development.
- Contribute to the implementation of new systems/processes and provides guidance, auditing, mentoring and analysis support to the management team.
What you'll get in return
- Education: The ideal candidate will possess a Post-Secondary education or equal work experience.
- Experience: A minimum of 10years of progressive experience in underground mining operations. •Extensive practical experience, as well as senior mining leadership roles, in underground mine development and production including cut and fill and bulk mining.
- Knowledge of the Workplace Safety and Health Act, company standards and procedures.
- Knowledge of underground mine design, mining engineering, drilling/blasting, backfilling, ventilation, scheduling, surveying, incentives, mine's metrics tracking required.
- Knowledge of the MS Office suite and SAP.
- Excellent communication, presentation and writing skills.
- Capital Project experience would be an asset.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
What you need to do now
- Competitive salary.
- Attractive pension and benefits (company paid core coverage, flex health and dental coverage, flex accounts, disability plans and optional insurances).
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation, sick, top up for maternity/parental).
- Employee Family Assistance Program.
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion and career growth.
- Opportunities to grow your career in a large global company, and mining industry leader.
- Online training and career development opportunities.
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career. #1104775